Just writing

It's a crazy world out there!

Monday, February 19, 2007

India adds an Australia every quarter

More than one and half decade back when I took my first lessons in Geography, I read in my NCERT book that "India adds an Australia every year in terms population". When my teacher discussed this in class, it sounded a scary and alarming situation in all our heads.

Things change, or at least the way we look at them.

On Friday, when I picked up the Economic Times, the headline read "India has 20 mn cell phone users" and adds almost 5-6 mn users every month.

That old statement now reads differently- "India adds an Australia every quarter", albiet in mobile phone connections.

A billion heavy population or a billion capable workers or a billion potential consumers. Whichever way we want to look at it!