Just writing

It's a crazy world out there!

Sunday, July 31, 2005

My first tryst with Mumbai locals

A friend of mine forwarded this mail to me which I had sent her when I was in Wipro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From: "Ambrish Bajaj" <ambrish.bajaj@wipro.com>
>To: "Akshu (E-mail)" <@hotmail.com>
>Subject: A Civilization called Mumbai
>Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:40:30 +0530
>
>
>A Civilization called Mumbai
>*****************************
****
>
>I had to reach Starters and Shakers (a pub on the first floor of Eros
>Theatre, opposite Church Gate stn). I started from Borivali stn. Bought a
>ticket and asked the man behind the counter for a fast train. The guys tell
>me "bahut saari hain, platform no.5 per chale jaao". I went there but was a
>bit confused, I couldn't locate a board where I could see the platform no.
>Now, ignoring my didi's advice to buy a Ist class ticket, I took a II class
>ticket. I wanted to show that 'I can' board II class compartment at 8pm on
>a working day. I think the above is really something worth showing to
>yourself, boarding a local train at this hour on a working day is no joke,
>and that too the IInd class compartment.
>
>Well, we move on with my experience. I was standing at this platform (which
>I later realised was Platform no.4) and the train comes. I could understand
>that there were so many people to board the same train, but I was
>determined.
>
>The next moment I remember is, the train left the station and also 'me'.
>
>Ok, I missed the train so what. When I walked slightly to my left to ask a
>person if there will be more trains to Church gate, I was told that trains
>to Church Gate would leave from the other side of the platform.
>
>Thank God, I didn't go to Virar (trains from platform 4 go towards Virar).
>Virar is the other end of the Western track of which one end is Church
>Gate. ;-)